Saturday 18 October 2008

The Antidote for Strictly Come Dancing


I make no apology for indulging in a shameless plug for Mr. Meades' first DVD collection. He was very generous to me in both words and spirit by taking time (and a case of claret I think) to write a highly original preface to More from Unmitigated England, so I owe him one. Any of you out there who is kind enough to read this blog and its associated branch lines will appreciate these eleven beautifully eccentric films. As A.A.Gill wrote in The Sunday Times "Brilliant- even at his worst he's funnier, cleverer and sharper than anyone else on TV". I won't laboriously take you through every film, but if by some extraordinary quirk of fate you can only watch one, then my fervent recommendation would be for you to sit down with a metaphorical crate of Strongs of Romsey ale and glue yourself to Father to The Man (2007). Fifty minutes of corrugated iron, biscuits, Shell Guides (only Meades can get away with saying they were edited by "John Betjeman- the topographer not the poet") a Morris Minor Traveller in the obligatory bucolic green and a black stick standing-in for an eel. And always the buildings being given the Meades once-over, including the Great Disappearing Trick of the Netley Hospital outside Southampton. So sharpen your pencils and get that Christmas Wants List up the chimney.

6 comments:

TIW said...

Thanks for flagging this up. Just placed my order.

Jon Dudley said...

A black suit and a pair of dark glasses...surely the most underrated deliverer of TV wonderfulness there is? Mine's on order too.

Peter Ashley said...

Good show chaps. You won't be disappointed, I promise.

Ron Combo said...

I met a minicab driver from Bayswater who said he knew him quite well.
Sorry.

Peter Ashley said...

You've never told me that Ron.

Diplomate said...

Yes - marvelous