Monday 24 January 2011

Spamgate






Bradgate Park will be well-known to the people of Leicester and Leicestershire. An almost perfectly preserved medieval landscape of 350 acres, this is where the city comes to walk, picnic, fly kites, kick footballs and exercise rotweilers. I was brought here many times on a Midland Red bus as a child, eating Spam sandwiches on the igneous rocks, snapping away with a box Brownie and once having an unfortunate accident in my trousers because I refused to enter the evil smelling lavatories. At the heart of the park is Bradgate House, a spectacular orange brick ruin that is one of England's earliest fortified manor houses. Started in 1490, it later became the birthplace of Lady Jane Grey, nine days Queen of England before being summarily beheaded at the behest of Mary I. They say all the oaks in the park were pollarded out of respect for her, and by the look of the oldest trees this would seem to be the case. Walking up to the ruins, I realised just what a major part of my life they'd been, and I will bring my boys here again very soon, armed with sandwiches wrapped in greaseproof paper and their new digital cameras. But I'll make sure they 'go' before marching out under the oaks.

6 comments:

Ron Combo said...

That's a nice post Peter, dear old Braggy Park. By the way, what sort of sandwiches do your boys like? Traditional or trendy?

Peter Ashley said...

Literally anything Ron. It took some time to get bacon sandwiches down The Youngest, but he's at last succumbed, saying 'I really like these'. Don't tell his mother.

Philip Wilkinson said...

And digital cameras for the boys, too, eh? Watch out, or they will be getting their work published.

Peter Ashley said...

Blimey, I never thought about that Phil.Have to confiscate them immediately!

Haji baba said...

The Bradgate oaks are more Henry IV than Lady Jane Grey. Pollarding extends their lives but spam will shorten it.

Blogger said...

Did you know that that you can make dollars by locking special sections of your blog or site?
Simply join AdWorkMedia and add their content locking tool.