Tuesday 2 June 2015

The Silent Spectator


Last week I paid my respects to my friend the artist Rigby Graham . The funeral was in the suitably gothic St.John's church in Clarendon Park Leicester, and as we filed out afterwards I couldn't help noticing this surreal juxtaposition. The figure is one of a series positioned on the pavements outside the junior school opposite to slow down motorists, much like those arm-waving plastic policeman they use so effectively in France. I share it with you not out of any ghoulish intention, but simply because I know that Rigby would've loved it.

9 comments:

Stephen Barker said...

One of these 'children' is painted by a brown face and bright yellow hair, it looks somewhat surreal.I find them slightly creepy.

Stephen Barker said...

That should read 'with a brown face and yellow hair' I don't know where the by crept in from.

Peter Ashley said...

Stranger things happen in Clarendon Park I'm sure Stephen.

Philip Wilkinson said...

It's my guess that he'd have liked the orange colour of the figure's jacket (or whatever it is) too.

Peter Marquis-Kyle said...

Please tell us about the coffin -- is that basketwork?

Peter Ashley said...

Hello Peter. Yes it is a wicker coffin. Rigby was buried in a green cemetery in Scraptoft in Leicester.

lolyta said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
yanmaneee said...

yeezy 500
michael kors outlet
balenciaga shoes
hermes handbags
nike react
coach handbags
yeezy shoes
nike shoes
cheap jordans
kd 10

reausaski said...

other f9d60t8l68 Louis Vuitton fake Bags replica bags ru r8b08r2a95 have a peek at this website p0s37z6u12 replica gucci replica prada nylon bags replica bags ebay replica hermes bag e4o21u0q04 replica kipling bags