Sunday 16 August 2015

Strife in Squares


I show this picture because it's the only thing I've got to illustrate the Bloomsbury Group. (Apart from something that I'll leave until last.) This is the garden of Monk's House in Rodmell, East Sussex, home to Virginia Woolf and her husband Leonard. It didn't appear in Life in Squares, the recent BBC drama about the Group, as didn't Virginia loading her mac up with stones and wandering into the nearby River Ouse. Lots of actors walked about as if they were going to, most of them being replaced by other actors at some time or other. In the first episode Henrik Hanssen off Holby City popped up in the garden of Charleston (another BG hang-out in Sussex) and it took me ages to realise he was supposed to be Leonard Woolf, but later in life. All this was very disconcerting owing to the use of flash forwards, and totally unnecessary. What possessed the producers to replace James Norton playing the younger Duncan Grant with Rupert Penry-Jones pretending to be the older? RP-H is only 15 years older than James N, but actually contrived to look even younger. 

I was looking forward very much to seeing this, owing to an odd (well, not that odd) connection with it all. There were in fact some superb moments over the three episodes, not least for me when Clive Bell kept going on about his mistress Mrs.Raven-Hill. We didn't see her (worse luck), but this was 'The Luxurious Mrs.Raven-Hill', wife to Leonard (when she found time) who was a very well-known Punch cartoonist and a big mate and illustrator of Rudyard Kipling. And on top of all this she is the great-grandmother of the mother of my two youngest children. I'm feel sure she will be mentioning it here soon.

4 comments:

David Gouldstone said...

I also found the series a mixture of very good moments and lots of frustratingly confusing ones. Half the time I didn't know who was who; though I'm probably just thick. I was sorry that they didn't find room for Dora Carrington, one of the most interesting and talented of the whole lot - and one of the most tragic, being unable to continue after the death of Lytton Strachey and committing suicide.

Peter Ashley said...

I agree David. Carrington's story is amazing, and I seem to remember it was very well told in Christopher Hampton's eponymous film with Emma Thompson and Jonathan Pryce (1995). I always look out for her glorious sign for John Fothergill's Spread Eagle hotel in Thame.

Stephen Barker said...

I didn't know that she did the sign for John Fothergill at Thame. I don't recall it being mentioned in an Innkeeper's Diary. I will have to reread my copy.

Peter Ashley said...

No need to read it all Stephen. It's in the first paragraph of the first entry for 1926. Page 43 in my Chatto & Windus copy of 1931. "In 1923 I sketched out the eagle on it and 'Carrington' Partridge painted it beautifully. Spenser Hoffman did the beautiful lettering."