Friday 11 September 2009

J2 Oh!


I've always had a thing about Morris J-types. Probably because they were once so ubiquitous as Royal Mail vans, but I think it was also because they somehow looked very modern when they first appeared, even though they still sported separate headlamps. Those sliding doors, and what are known as outrigger hinges that let the rear doors fold right back to the bodywork. Amazingly they were first introduced at the Commercial Transport Show in October 1948, so they're almost as old as I am, and for thirty years or so they delighted me with a host of signwriting and liveries. And it still goes on- one even cropped-up in a recent Dr.Who episode as the dark blue van of 1953 television saleman Mr.Magpie. With a raised roofline and hinged doors they of course made ideal ice cream vans, so I was very pleased to see one on my recent visit to Weston-super-Mare. Beautifully lettered, it was a perfect complement to the traditional treats of Carters Steam Fair. Stop me from buying one.

11 comments:

Diplomate said...

yum yum - and tax exempt historic free rfl disc there, plus perhaps a showman's vehicle O licence exemption.

Simon said...

A lovely photo. And now I need a strawberry spilt to finish the day off.

Philip Wilkinson said...

Yes, marvellous photograph – although it does leave me with my mouth watering, wanting to see more of the van. Make mine a vanilla tub - or even a family brick.

martin said...

Superb van art. Lovely stuff! The motors nice as well.

Jon Dudley said...

Lovely 'J' Type Mr.A. My granddaughter was playing with my battered 'Dinky' version only yesterday - the one with the Capstan graphics on the side...the van, not the granddaugher. By the way did the ice cream vendor have a playground-style bell? As an impressionable young lad I was easily won over by the white-coated driver who could drive one handed whilst shaking the bell vigorously out of the window. More about 'Carters' too please!

Peter Ashley said...

I'm afraid I didn't hear any bells or chimes Jon, Mr.Ice Cream was busy with a long queue. More Carters soon I expect.

Moonlight Shadow said...

I am far too young to remember the vehicles heyday but found myself transported back in time to the rear seat of my Granddads Ford Anglia whilst reading your blog.Ah memories are made of bliss!

Mummy x said...

This afternoon has been an Unmitigated Disaster. All because I discovered your blog. And what a fantastic disaster it was. I have to say that I scored a 1 out of 2 on the 'Find the Fault' cards.

Mummy x

Sue Imgrund said...

I can hear "Spring Song" tinkling away...what a lovely picture as summer begins to bow out...

Peter Ashley said...

Sorry Mummy.

accountant said...

You can see a police 'J' type in the 1959 film 'Hell is a City' which was shot on location in Manchester. Lots of old cars and shots of grimy industrial landscapes. These are the days when policemen drove Wolsleys before they switched to Panda and 'Z'Cars.