Tuesday 7 April 2009

Find The Fault No 7

I'm not like Philip Larkin, who said something along the lines of "I like going abroad, so long as I can go to China and back in a day". And Venice is the sort of place I can spend more than a day in. Truly, madly, deeply impressive, it's much bigger than you'd think. And everything's delivered or carted about on boats; everything from early morning Coca Colas to local cafes to late afternoon funerals out on the cemetery island. You can easily avoid the crowds by just simply staying away from St.Marks Square or the shops on the Rialto Bridge, and unless you're a Venetian you can very easily get lost. Sometimes your only hope in getting back to somewhere you almost know is to look for the ghost signs on the alley walls that say 'vaporetto' with a fading arrow. Hang on, I hear you say, this is supposed to be Unmitigated England. It is, but it's Tuesday, and we're on holiday for the day.

10 comments:

accountant said...

Well the sail is on the wrong side of the mast, the spar which is carrying the sail is not attached to the mast and last but not least do gondalas have sails. I mean how is the poor bloke at the back going to see where he is going?

Peter Ashley said...

Ooh, Accountant. You appear to live spookily near me. Perhaps you are me, except I'm no good at sums.
And of course you're right. Card says 'Gondolas do not have sails'. I did wonder if it was something else too, like the fact that the gondolier appears to have only one foot in the boat. But no, you are this week's winner.
Pint of grappa on me in the Campo Margerita.

CarolineLD said...

I actually got this one! Half an hour after Accountant, but still... (And I too wondered why he appears to be using his foot to paddle as well).

Affer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Philip Wilkinson said...

Yes, I got it too. But too late, as always. But there's another thing. Didn't I read somewhere that Venetian gondolas are always black? Or is that just some of them?

Peter Ashley said...

I think you're right Wilko, black only. But I prefer those polished teak-decked motor boats anyway. With a Red Ensign on the stern, obviously.

Bucks Retronaut said...

Come on, Peter !

Defaced Blue ,if you please !

Sue Imgrund said...

I know I've come much too late and I know gondolas shouldn't have sails, but shouldn't the gondolier be wearing a stripy shirt? The get-up he's got-up in looks like Robin Hood mixed up with a mariachi.

Diplomate said...

Did this truly come from the same set of cards - completely rubish picture, stacks of errors, shoddy detail, bad lighting etc . I'm wondering if the artist here wasn't getting a bit fed up.

Peter Ashley said...

A little harsh Diplo- have you recently had an unfortunate experience in a gondola? Or with a gondolier? But don't worry, I've checked next week's puzzle pic and I think it will meet your exacting standards.